Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Help With Boat Leak

Capt.Ron , did you ever get the leak fixed? If so what was the problem?
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Boat running, in the water is helpfull. Bring a spot-light, mirrow and roll of paper towels.

Found several leaks that way, but it takes patience.

Post Thanks / Like

Check livewell intake thru hulls and hoses if you have them.

Post Thanks / Like

Seon , when I had the leak in my Alumaweld the mechanics at 2 different boat places told me that Alumaweld are known for leaking there and that would be the first place they would check. I pulled the bolts, caulked them and reinstalled them but unfortunately it turned out my lea’ was from a stress fracture.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish_junky View Post
    Also check the mounting bolts for your motor. I had them leak before.

Yup, that's where I found the leak on my Alumaweld.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    Finding the source of a leak can be quite challenging, I know from experience. First estimate how much it leaks. Are we talking a quart an hour, a gallon an hour , 5 gallons an hour? Knowing the speed of the leak can help to rule out or in certain areas and components. Does it leak only when it’s running or while it’s just sitting in the water with the engine off? Is it a jet, outboard or I/O?
    Without knowing any of the above my first guess would be a stress fracture on the bottom. Stress fractures are not uncommon on heavy gauge aluminum boats. They can be very difficult to spot. I had one on my boat that was about 1.5” long and very tight, you couldn’t even come close to getting a finger nail in it. It looked more like a small scratch than a hairline stress fracture. That tiny fracture allowed about 2 or so gallons an hour into my boat. I had examined the bottom of my boat but didn’t see anything wrong. I only found it because I saw a little water dripping on the concrete. Even looking directly at the crack it was hard to tell it was a crack.
    As others have said put some water in it and observe.
    also let us know what area you are in so we can suggest a boat service near you. If you are anywhere close to Rancho Cordova try Marine Service Center. The repaired/patched/welded mine 3 years ago and no problems since.
    Thanks Waterdog. I live in Lodi so I will call Marine Service Center in Rancho Cordova.

Post Thanks / Like

Also check the mounting bolts for your motor. I had them leak before.
    2017, 20ft Gregor Eagle, 100hp Honda, 9.9 Honda, 80 lb Riptide, 4 Scotty 1106's

Post Thanks / Like

Finding the source of a leak can be quite challenging, I know from experience. First estimate how much it leaks. Are we talking a quart an hour, a gallon an hour , 5 gallons an hour? Knowing the speed of the leak can help to rule out or in certain areas and components. Does it leak only when it’s running or while it’s just sitting in the water with the engine off? Is it a jet, outboard or I/O?
    Without knowing any of the above my first guess would be a stress fracture on the bottom. Stress fractures are not uncommon on heavy gauge aluminum boats. They can be very difficult to spot. I had one on my boat that was about 1.5” long and very tight, you couldn’t even come close to getting a finger nail in it. It looked more like a small scratch than a hairline stress fracture. That tiny fracture allowed about 2 or so gallons an hour into my boat. I had examined the bottom of my boat but didn’t see anything wrong. I only found it because I saw a little water dripping on the concrete. Even looking directly at the crack it was hard to tell it was a crack.
    As others have said put some water in it and observe.
    also let us know what area you are in so we can suggest a boat service near you. If you are anywhere close to Rancho Cordova try Marine Service Center. The repaired/patched/welded mine 3 years ago and no problems since.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 12-02-2017 at 08:40 PM.

9. Likes CRABBY, Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a leak in my 14 crestliner, did the fill it with water and not a drop would show... I had Gone Fishin Marine in Dixon, find the leak for me. It was in the live well pump...

Post Thanks / Like

Design Concepts have been known to develop stress cracks in the hull near the stern. The are a number of things that can cause it during the welding process. If that's what you find and your not well versed in welding aluminum then take it to a good shop that is. Can't think of one off hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast