Thread: Fishing the Sac

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing the Sac

If youre willing to take the xrive, head up to dunsmuir on weekdays.

Theres easy bank access for your kiddo and the fish are really willing to bite.

Albeit I havent been out this year. A good rig is a single salmon egg and a tiny weight.

Make sure to look at the maps and the regs, the upper sac is all choppy with where you can/cant use bait or keep fish.
    My cousin once said: we've been fishing for three hours, why arent we catching anything?
    And I replied: Its fishing, who the hell said anything about catching?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing the Sac

Sac has world class rainbow fishing from Redding all the way down thru Anderson. Need either a drift boat or jet to fish it from a boat. I wouldn't drift it in a boat meant for flat water. Only class ii rapids and riffles but there are swift currents and hidden ledges that require respect.

Bank access is limited, but with some scouting you can find productive water.

Drifting roe, crickets and mini-crawlers work. Bugs make up a big part of their diet. If you don't fly-fish, you can still drift nymphs with a few split shot under a bobber. You'll be doing exactly the same thing as the Fly Shopp guys, they just call their bobbers strike indicators.

Drifting on the deep side of ledges with steady current is a good place to start.

Check the regs. That's a special regulations area, and it's been a few years since I looked them up.

You're in a great location. Lots of good fishing choices up there.

Let us know how you do.

3. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Fishing the Sac

I do not fish the area, but welcome to the boards........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing the Sac

Hi everyone, I’m new to fishing, haven’t done it since I was a kid. Now I want to take my son out. I live near Red Bluff. Anyone have suggestions on where to get started fishing the Sac river? I have an 8’ pond prowler from Bass Pro. Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post