Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Troubled Waters

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Troubled Waters

I agree with MtnFisher. A person is prohibited from carring a fire arm during archery deer season if you are engaged in archery/bow hunting. You can carry a firearm (where its legal to do so) during bow season if you are fishing, hiking or what ever as long as you are not bow hunting. I use it teach hunter safety and that is what we taught.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

2. Likes MtnFisher, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    You still cannot carry during archery season there is an exemption to that law stating such.
    You are only correct if you were exclusively bowhunting for deer.

Currently Section 4370 of F&G code states under (b), a person taking or attempting to take deer during such archery season shall neither carry, nor have under his or her immediate control, any firearm of any kind.

End of quote.

So if one is bow hunting during deer season then no, they cannot carry a firearm.

However, if one is exclusively fishing on NF then they can legally carry a firearm under the exemption listed under PC 12027 as long as they were not in possession of any archery equipment.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outp...d-game-qa.html

I personally have never had an issue while carrying carrying concealed or open carry on National Forest or BLM lands and that included many interactions with Game Wardens and NF Rangers during archery season. I also emailed a county Sheriff in the Sierras and he confirmed I could legally carry a firearm while fishing on NF land.

Its pretty much a no brainer, until the new law is finalized, one should not carry both a firearm and archery equipment together during the archery deer season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 06-17-2018 at 10:20 AM.

4. Likes Waterdog, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post
    Yes, but there is pending legislation to change that just for the reasons I listed. Once finalized, one will be able to pack a sidearm when archery hunting in the future due to the threats posed by illegal marijuana growers on National Forests. I will try to find it and post soon.

It's not finalized and until it is and put into law it's illegal and you'll lose your firearm. I'm just making sure the correct information is actually being given to the public. As it stands now you cannot carry during archery season

6. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This individual came up missing near Sand Flat campground, a popular spot for fishermen in the Stanislaus NF:

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/new...e75249647.html

http://charleyproject.org/case/michael-larry-madden

A friend of mine and a LEO has a father who is an avid Sierra fisherman and used to fish the Sand Bar area told me about this incident about 8 yrs ago. His father packs a sidearm ever since it happened. My LEO friend advised me to never camp at this spot just for this reason.
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 06-16-2018 at 12:07 PM.

8. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to invoke paranoia, just raising awareness for your safety:

https://m.facebook.com/motherlodemissing411/posts

I also advise folks to carry a PLB along with their sidearm whenever visiting the back country. An excellent choice is the ACR ResQlink+:

https://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-R.../dp/B006JXY0CQ

If one finds themselves in trouble and pinned down, they can activate their PLB. The sheriff dept receives GPS coordinates of your location immediately.
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 06-16-2018 at 12:09 PM.

10. Likes Waterdog, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I started packing heat when out in the wilderness more than 40 years ago. Started carring for protection from 4 legged creatures but then decided 2 legged were the real threat. I actually carry 2, a 357 mag or a 44 mag revolver on my hip in plain sight and a 9 mm concealed. Call me paranoid, I dont have a problem with that.
    Saved my a$$ twice just by displaying it and another time I discharged it as a warning telling the 2 guys the next ones were going through their chest. It was in a simi-remote area before the days of cell phones and the 2 guys were clearly intent on robbing me.
    Back in the early 80s I was backpacking and came upon a pot grow. At first I thought wow look at all the pot plants but a second later it dawned on me that this was a very dangerous place to be. Luckily no one saw me and I didnt see anyone and got out of there quick.
    I cant imagine venturing into lonely, remote back country not being armed now a days.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

12. Likes MtnFisher, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here it is, maybe a change soon:

California Fish and Game Commission to Allow Archery Hunters to Carry Firearms Following NRA and CRPA Petition

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

" Hunters often find themselves alone and isolated. Not having adequate means to protect themselves from predators and criminals puts them in danger. This is especially true with the increase of illegal marijuana grows in popular hunting areas, which are often patrolled by armed gang members willing to violently defend their crops." End of quote. See link for more info:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...-crpa-petition

Last edited by MtnFisher; 06-16-2018 at 11:16 AM.

14. Likes MKE, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    You still cannot carry during archery season there is an exemption to that law stating such.
    Yes, but there is pending legislation to change that just for the reasons I listed. Once finalized, one will be able to pack a sidearm when archery hunting in the future due to the threats posed by illegal marijuana growers on National Forests. I will try to find it and post soon.

Last edited by MtnFisher; 06-16-2018 at 11:14 AM.

16. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post
    I always advise folks to pack heat if possible when visiting the backcountry in the Sierras. The CA penal code allows you to legally pack concealed firearms when fishing as well:

Section 25400 does not apply to, or affect, licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

Keep a printed copy of this penal code with your fishing license when visiting the back country just in case.

My posts are for informational purposes only, and not legal advice. Over the years I have been advised by several law enforcement officers to pack heat whenever visiting the NF. As one ranger stated "We can't help you if you get into trouble due to the remoteness of this region, cell phone coverage is very limited or non existant"

More bad news regarding the illegal use of toxic chemicals used for marijuana growing:

https://www.uniondemocrat.com/localn...raise-concerns

18. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always advise folks to pack heat if possible when visiting the backcountry in the Sierras. The CA penal code allows you to legally pack concealed firearms when fishing as well:

Section 25400 does not apply to, or affect, licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

Keep a printed copy of this penal code with your fishing license when visiting the back country just in case.

Disclaimer: My posts are for informational purposes only, and not to be taken as legal advice.

Over the years I have been advised by several law enforcement officers to pack heat whenever visiting the NF. As one ranger stated "We can't help you if you get into trouble due to the remoteness of this region, cell phone coverage is very limited or non existant"

More bad news regarding the illegal use of toxic chemicals used for marijuana growing:

https://www.uniondemocrat.com/localn...raise-concerns
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 06-16-2018 at 11:39 AM.

20. Likes MKE, TBSP liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast