Post Thanks / Like

Re: Los Vaqueros Sat 6/16 afternoon fun.

great fun right there! i would stay far way from any raccoon i saw during the day though. could be rabid.
    I'm lovin' it! Bill.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for clearing things up on the regs. I found the section with regards to the second rod stamp that states kids under 16 years old can fish two rods where allowed. Just had me second guessing myself after that guy said no. Reading the regs can be challenging. Should have stuck with what I know. And thanks for the report card info.

Gerry

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool report and must have been really exciting for the boys. Yes, two rods is fine for anglers under 16 years of age. The reason the reg's book states "where permitted" is because in locations which have special regulations, 2 rods are not allowed (even for an adult with a 2-rod stamp). The best example of this is on our local, American River. The stretch between the USGS cable below Hazel Ave. and the powerlines at Ancil Hoffman Park is designated as a 'barbless hooks only' section. Since this region is subject to the special (hook) regulation, the 2 rod stamp cannot be used.

The other one that gets confused regarding kids... is the steelhead report card which minors must purchase and fill out just like adults do. The reason is because the steelhead program gets funding separately from license fees and more importantly, the steelhead report card is used to gather research data of which young anglers are part of the equation.

Happy fishing~:)
    Last edited by steeliesNstripers; 06-18-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pictures and play by play, thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Los Vaqueros Sat 6/16 afternoon fun.

Re-post. But since we caught a striper thought I would post it here too.

Hey everyone,
    Greyson had been wanting to get back out fishing since our last catch on our camping trip. So we decided to head out today after his swim meet.

Here is on the block:

His little buddy Lucas had been wanting to go for awhile now so we brought him along. Arrived at about 2pm. Set up shop south of the rock wall and around the bend. Maybe 200 yards from the end of the rock wall.

Rigged up four rods (I think the kids get two each right? Maybe someone can chime in but there was not room for any more today).: two with power bait and two with anchovies. Tons of people out enjoying the good weather.

Greyson wanted to practice casting lures. While doing so we missed our first bite. The bobber went up and when we pulled on the rod we were snagged. Had to break it off. About 5 minutes later one of he anchovy rods takes a huge hit,but didn’t stick.

Got quiet for a bit and then about an hour and a half after we arrived we finally got our first fish. Greyson played it well and Lucas was on the net. A nice little 1lb trout.

Got the rod back in the water and as I was trying to send the pic to Lucas’ parents and my wife we got a hit on the anchovy. Lucas needed some help reeling it in, and we landed a nice 19” striper. Greyson scooped him up with some difficulty. Very spunky fish. As I was trying to get the hook out another rod goes off, and Greyson lands our second trout with help from Lucas on the net.

About an hour later Lucas landed our 3rd trout and fourth fish for the day. We lost one that hit as we started to reel in to check the bait. I was a little rusty and missed the hook set.

Final count: 3 trout, 1 striper, 3 missed bites. 2 very happy kids! And one very proud and happy dad!

People to the south of me had 8 rods for 4 people. There all day. Ended up 8 short of limits. Didn’t see anything landed north of us. Plenty of people we talked to who had limits or close to it for a full days work. North of the marina was hitting.
    Go get ‘em!!!

I read the regs. Kids under 16 get two rods where legal but wanted to confirm. Got approached by someone last time who said we had too many rods. Anyone want to chime in?

Celebration time!

7. Likes Katch, Waterdog, schplurg liked this post