Junior Member fishpuertovallarta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly Fishing for Leopard Sharks in northern California

Catch a Leopard Shark with the fly rod is quite interesting. Because fly fishing is a technique most commonly used for catching grayling, trout and salmon.
    Regards,
    Marlas PV Landing
    Website- https://fishpuertovallarta.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! Had to laugh at this post. Catching leopards on a fly rod is relatively easy (my friends and I have done it many times). Catching them without scent or tipping your fly with bait is not impossible, but plan on spending many hours and you will need some luck. Here's what I know:

The hard way: Leopards will take flies and artificials-- most of them I've seen caught were accidental 'by-catch' while striper fishing and have taken jigs or Clouser type flies. Red Rock Island in the North Bay has produced several for me over the years. You could also try Tomales Bay. In addition to stripers, there are lots of fish in the No. Cal salt that will take a fly including surf perch, rockfish, jacksmelt, mackerel etc. -so go to it.

Now the easy way: Sharks respond well to scent, even better if you tip your flies with bait (squid is durable and makes a good 'trailer' for your fly). Head to the South Bay and anchor on the edge of the shipping channel in 25-30 feet of water. Near the top of the tide is best-- otherwise the current will be too fast. Use a heavy fly rod and the fastest sinking line you can cast (lead core?). Since the water is rarely clear, use a brightly colored fly (1/0 to 3/0 hook) with a strip of squid (for better results add lots of fish scent). Retrieve just fast enough to keep in contact with your fly. You'll do best near the bottom, but sharks will suspend in the column as well. Hang on-- expect to catch leopards-- and there are some big sevengill and soupfins out there as well.

Yeah, its not really fly fishing, but its a hoot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bish0p View Post
    I didn't think catching a shark or sturgeon was possible on the fly rod. This post is very interesting.

Conway Bowman is a big time fly fisher for sharks, especially Mako's

4. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think catching a shark or sturgeon was possible on the fly rod. This post is very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Think heavily weighted musky flies/gear

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a hard one. My fly fishing mentor/history teacher always told me he wanted to catch a sturgeon on a fly rod. We both agreed to try our best at it but the main challenge was keeping a fly on the bottom with enough sent with out crossing into bait fishing territory. I imagine leopard sharks are the same venture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Fly Fishing for Leopard Sharks in northern California

Hello all,
    I live in the Bay Area and I am dying to catch a Leopard Shark on the fly rod. If any has any information, tips, locations, i would be so grateful. Tight Lines!!

9. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post