Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Complete Striper Newbie looking for advice for me and my boy - Delta Fishing

Very good point about safety. Dorsal spines are nasty too. Needle nose pliars are your friend. They also make a de-hooker, which is basically a steel loop with a T-handle. Let's you pick up the fish by the leader, wrap the loop around the leader, slide it down to the hook and twist. Hook comes out without touching the fish. Hard to describe, but look the up on-line. They work great. Much easier on the fish and hands. Lipping them works well but your thumb will look like it's been through a cheese grater after a good day.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Complete Striper Newbie looking for advice for me and my boy - Delta Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post

There are 10 million little stripers in the delta and sardines have high oil content they love. The reason for the spawn netting is to keep the bait on the hook as it will get pecked off quickly. Look up tuna balls or roe bags online. I make them about the size of a nickel-quarter.

The circle hook (sizes 2 or 4) are important because they generally hook fish in the corner of the mouth and small enough to hook smaller fish. Using standard j-hooks will gut hook and kill a bunch of undersized fish and targeting them this way is unethical in my opinion. The trick to this is to put the hook barely through the netting and basically let the bait drag behind the hook, keeping the gap of the hook as clear as possible to work. If you bury the hook in the bait it doesn't work well. Fish also hook themselves with circle hooks, no setting the hook.

Fishing traditional bait methods is often plagued by bait stealing baby stripers. The whole idea is to turn those annoyances into kids having fun without killing the little ones. The vast majority will be undersized and released, a good teaching tool for kids in my opinion

The other side is you'll occassionaly pick up a big fish, and surgeon love sardines. It's rare, but if you hook one the kids will be fishermen for life.
    Totally agree with this post and all things said before. I would also add...if you don't have a boat go to the Antioch pier which is just below the bridge. Walk about 2/3 of the way out and set up on the side where the water is moving away from you. Rig the anchovies per the instructions above and all you need to do is lower a weighted bait out in the moving water - maybe 20 - 30 yards. Don't really need much more than a 1/2 oz. as you want to keep the bait up in the water column. Tell the kids that when they feel the taps...wait...when the rod starts to load, start reeling. You will catch shakers and diaper stripers all day long. This will keep everyone entertained until you run out of bait AND you might latch in to a couple of keepers there. Good fish come off that pier all the time.

WARNING - these little stripers are extremely dangerous and if you don't handle them correctly they will poke and cut you up pretty good. If the kids are fairly young, do it for them...lip them with your thumb like a largemouth. Stripers have razor sharp side plates and points on their gill flaps, if you try to palm grab them while their flapping they'll surely get you. A little blood is the sign of a successful day but I'd rather have a ragged thumb than hands full of good sized paper cuts and holes. Good luck, we are coming in to the best time of the year to be fishing for these wonderful fish!

3. Likes Yearroundfisherman, freedomfry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're looking at keeping the kids occupied. I've taken to using cut sardines wrapped in spawn netting and small circle hooks on standard sliding rigs for my kids.

There are 10 million little stripers in the delta and sardines have high oil content they love. The reason for the spawn netting is to keep the bait on the hook as it will get pecked off quickly. Look up tuna balls or roe bags online. I make them about the size of a nickel-quarter.

The circle hook (sizes 2 or 4) are important because they generally hook fish in the corner of the mouth and small enough to hook smaller fish. Using standard j-hooks will gut hook and kill a bunch of undersized fish and targeting them this way is unethical in my opinion. The trick to this is to put the hook barely through the netting and basically let the bait drag behind the hook, keeping the gap of the hook as clear as possible to work. If you bury the hook in the bait it doesn't work well. Fish also hook themselves with circle hooks, no setting the hook.

Fishing traditional bait methods is often plagued by bait stealing baby stripers. The whole idea is to turn those annoyances into kids having fun without killing the little ones. The vast majority will be undersized and released, a good teaching tool for kids in my opinion

The other side is you'll occassionaly pick up a big fish, and surgeon love sardines. It's rare, but if you hook one the kids will be fishermen for life.

Last thing is this is a good method to move around a lot. If you're not getting bit in 20 minutes or so, move. Try different depths, areas, tides etc.

Not for everyone and won't produce a lot of keepers, but once you get bored with the little ones it will seem worth it to move on to more patience for more standard techniques. Kind of like training wheels for fishing.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 09-03-2018 at 12:35 PM.

5. Likes MKE, LONO100, freedomfry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ngt View Post
    Not sure about where you are, but i used to toss out these traps with some broken frozen anchovies in them and catch my own bullhead. Worked well on the Napa River.

10133192.jpg
    I do own something like that, bought it ages ago to catch crawdads (didn't have luck with that either). I tried today to catch sculpin off vallejo waterfront, that was a disaster (hurricane force winds it seemed like lol).

Way after sunset my kid and I were so desperate to catch anything we tried fishing benicia marina with light hook and tackle for bullheads/sculpin. I think we actually got a couple nibbles too, but didn't catch anything. Ah well, will keep trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about where you are, but i used to toss out these traps with some broken frozen anchovies in them and catch my own bullhead. Worked well on the Napa River.

10133192.jpg
    Last edited by ngt; 09-02-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bish0p View Post
    As a Benicia resident I target salmon. Most of the time I release stripers.

I think you should visit Pam at Benicia Bait & Tackle. She's very nice and will help you with questions and gear.
    Funny you should mention this - I saw Pam (I think that's her name) yesterday, and asked a bunch of questions. I would have asked more but I felt bad monopolizing so much of her time. I've asked others there for tips and they will generally help, but Pam really will go out of her way and explain all sorts of things to a newb like me haha!

9. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    I think people are hesitant to respond to your post because to do so properly it would be book length. Check out BassJack.com
    i think that will provide you with most of the information you seek. After reading the information and articles on striper fishing if you have further questions I think we may be able to better help you.
    Definitely will check out that site. Tons of info it looks like!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips! This should be helpful.

I've also been asking around... a lot of the tips match up with nayr's advice.

Also heard good things about using chicken livers surprisingly.

And re: bullheads, almost everyone agrees they're great bait, though I'm not really sure how/where to best catch them. The benicia bait shop is usually out and even when they have them they're $2.50 a pop! heh

Post Thanks / Like

Grass shrimp, pile worms, chovies are the basic baits to soak for striper and whatever else may be hanging around benecia/martinez. Stripers around all year but better numbers spring and fall. During the fall months we used to do pretty good fishing over in martinez off the shore with bullheads. Lot more space to fish too. Using grass shrimp or pile worms on a High/low rig will get u the most action. Havnt fished up that way from shore in a while but we used to get a good number of other small fish like flounder and bullheads to keep u entertained. Grizzly island is a good place to take kids too. Drive back into the gravel road portion at least if your gonna go there. I think they may charge to fish once u get far enough back. There will be signs to stop and pay. I think u just put cash in an envelope. Lots of turnouts to fish from. Havnt been there in years tho

If i had to recommend a way to fish striper right now it would be a bullhead on outgoing tide fishing from the shore at dusk into the night from Martinez. I realize that may not be feasible with kids. Bring mosquito repellant!
    Best of luck.

13. Likes freedomfry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a Benicia resident I target salmon. Most of the time I release stripers.

I think you should visit Pam at Benicia Bait & Tackle. She's very nice and will help you with questions and gear.

15. Likes freedomfry liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast