Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trouble HOOKING stripers

Quote Originally Posted by semut View Post
    Well I went out for a couple hours yesterday at Hill slough. Got a bunch of shakers but nothing keepable. But the good news is they're staying on the hooks!!

Thanks for all the advice. Now just to find a good spot to go.. ;)
    frui vita et piscium captura
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I went out for a couple hours yesterday at Hill slough. Got a bunch of shakers but nothing keepable. But the good news is they're staying on the hooks!!

Thanks for all the advice. Now just to find a good spot to go.. ;)

3. Likes Teote liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm, about to head out to Hill Slough again CDK. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Something else that can happen are crabs or crawdads depending on where you're fishing. Both will pick bait apart and looks very much like little striper bites. If you use elastic thread or spawn netting it can help, and it will occassionaly get caught in the claws and you'll reel one in. Either will not stop the bait picking, but it can slow the progress. May or may not be what you're up against but something to keep in mind.

I agree with others on circle hooks. A trick to using them with worm baits is to use a worm threaded. Make threading them on the hook easier.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Please report back for us.
    frui vita et piscium captura
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys. I'm all optimistic again and will head out this evening at some point!

Interesting about the circle hooks. I was just telling my wife last night that I think circle hooks are the ONLY type of hook that I've never used in my lifetime!! I was never quite sure what the advantage was - now I know!

I'm glad someone brought up mudsuckers. I have never once got even a bite using mudsuckers. That seems to be more evidence to the fact that the spot i'm fishing is indeed mostly shakers. (I've been fishing in Hill Slough (that first slough you hit on grizzly island rd). Maybe it's too small. Because of my trout/stream background everytime I see Hill I say "ooooooooh" and pull over!!)

I haven't had much luck down in montezuma though, but that's mostly due to wind & current direction making casting more difficult. What do you think: am I shooting myself in the foot by continuing to fish Hill??

Post Thanks / Like

Just use circle hooks. They pretty much hook themselves and with circle hooks they rarely swallow the hook. I think most all the hits you are getting are just shakers. Sometimes the little guys pull your bait around pretty good but they are just little guys. If that keeps happening move to another spot. If you want to avoid the shakers use live bait like jumbo minnows or mud suckers.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

9. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When i bait fish for them and start getting hits and no takes i gear down on hook size
    even shakers can seem like a big one their easier to hook if they are shakers with a smaller hook.
    Then if they are shakers catch as many as you can try to release them away from where you caught them after a dozen or so switch back to your larger hook and bait then you'll catch that keeper sounds crazy but works for me....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
    I use a slider above my swivel and attach my weight to the slider, then I run about a 4 foot leader.

Ah right on, that's pretty much what I've been doing except with a much shorter lead. Lately I've been putting a pompano rig on one rod and the slide setup on the other. I haven't noticed an advantage to either over the other one yet though

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using 5# - 8# circle hooks (depending on the bait) on balancers. The shakers will tear at it and do get hooked. The keepers tend to grab it and take it level pretty quickly.

With balancers, I usually set the drag enough to hook them when they take it. It seems the balancer dip gives them enough running room. Picking up and lifting the rod confirms they are hooked.

Ive used fixed rod holders too. They tend to hook themselves that way. Ive been mining through shakers to get to the keepers and they seem to rip the bait off more quickly than with balancers. I have yet to gut hook a fish either way.

Ive had about the same luck both ways. When the keepers take it, they take it. But, who knows. Once I have it all figured out Ill want to quit fishing.

13. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast