Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lures From The Delta Bank?

If you're set on getting them to eat an artificial lure, throw a super fluke either nose hooked with a small octopus hook you'd use for bait fishing or a weedless screwlock hook like the owner beast hook. Cheap and catches everything that swims. If you get good at fluke fishing, upgrade to the magnum fluke with a 10/0-12/0 beast hook or the trokar ones. Absolute killers for the delta and rivers.

2. Likes radoncraft, RideNfish, schplurg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally I use frozen anchovies. My biggest from the bank is 20 inches. I almost always catch something, or at least get many bites with choves, either whole ones or chunks.

As for lures I've tried a jerkbait and a rattle shad (mentioned above, chrome with blue or black) and a popper at dusk. Haven't had a bite with the hard baits, but I haven't put a lot of time into it either. Three or four trips of 2 hours each.

I was thinking a bigger (for casting distance) topwater like a spook would be good. I think someone suggested that. Thanks for the tips!

Today my friend brought freeze-dried anchovies. Those were a bust. I assume the bait was the issue because I never have zero bites with frozen ones. They lasted forever on the hook too. One anchovy lasting 3 hours? Hmmmm...very suspicious... ;)

Post Thanks / Like

OK, if you spend enough time on the delta you will see stripers chasing bait on the surface. What do you throw?

Well, unless you are very fortunate, the stripers won't be huge (most of us would be happy with fish from just keeper size to ten pounds). Second, the bass will typically be chasing threadfin shad-- which are not a large target (smaller than your ring finger). So keep your lures on the smaller side.

So here's my secret weapon-- Zara Spooks and Zara Puppies in the CLEAR 'color'. Learn the 'walk the dog' retrieve (takes practice). Something about the clear lure and the erratic action drives them nuts. I think the bass are focused on the motion and waking acton and not the lure itself- somehow the clear lure will draw topwater strikes when nothing else works!

Just sayin'-

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Pelican ya that's what I was thinking. Pure white, long neck and legs. I usually see one when I'm there.

I looked up Egrets and that's probably more likely - just a guess because I know they are in the general area.

I've seen fish jump there before but they looked like either black bass or carp. I'm still new to fishing so feel free to correct me again. And some of the jumping was probably top feeding action. Guess I was lazy with my terms.

By the way the photo was a screengrab from a video I took with my phone. I often make videos when I fish, but I lost my GoPro so had to resort to the old iPhone for now.

I've been recording myself as I learn to bass fish and may post videos one day. Not instructional, more like "watch me attempt to apply knowledge I'm gaining and see if it works". I show what baits I'm using, explain why I think it's the right decision, laugh at myself for casting lures on top of my dads patio boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fine evening regardless. Not sure what fish were jumping, but stripers don't. They do bust baitfish on the top. Just info to determine what you're seeing. Busting stripers are great. Surfacing other fish, may not be as good a sign

Long legged white shore birds are likely Egrets. If they float, probably pelicans.....

7. Likes schplurg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update:

No luck again today. Threw a jerk bait for maybe an hour or so. Switched to a popper and cast it until dark. Zilch.

Started just before high tide, about 5:40 pm today. Mossdale in Lathrop, San Joaquin River. My usual spots. I only tried one spot and hammered it.

One thing I need is a bigger popper - well one that will cast farther. Maybe a spook like someone suggested. I think my popper is only 1/5 oz.

As dark approached I saw a lot of fish start to jump but they were too far out. Then a bass boat blasted by at about 150 mph. Five minutes later they started jumping again, but not for me.

I think my buddy is going to fish with me this Wednesday. I will probably break down and soak some anchovies. I get hit all day on those normally.

But I will not give up on lures. I will get some swimbaits and a bigger type of popper and try again. Just a bite would be encouraging as I've yet to have even that. I think I need to devote more time to them as well. I was only there maybe 2 hours.

The good:

It was a gorgeous evening. Little wind, perfect temperature (for me), and glass-like water when the sun set. Other than the bass boat, it was quiet, crickets chirping, a beautiful huge white bird (name escapes me - like a stork or crane) drifting just above the water. Very very nice evening.

What I learned:

- Bigger popper and maybe a swimbait needed!
    - Shoulda brought a beer.

Edit to add:

Casting the popper...
    Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by schplurg; 10-05-2018 at 09:27 PM.

9. Likes nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onelilcrazyazn View Post
    If you want the lure to swim straight i would go with swimbaits
    Will give it a shot I'd like to try that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Manley View Post
    change hooks, fish low light, keep fishing shallow water (all my large fish have been caught in less than 10' and most in less than 5'), no scent needed...waste of money unless you're fishing turbid waters, get a couple spooks and start with those....keep casting
    I did go home a bit early the other day. I'm not giving up on lures, I will keep throwing until I get a fish on one of these. I am absolutely going to make this work.

Was looking at spooks when I bought the jerk and rattler - shoulda grabbed one.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, what Dwight said.
    Keep kasting til yo arms falls off!

Every job is a self portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your work with excellence.

12. Likes LONO100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

change hooks, fish low light, keep fishing shallow water (all my large fish have been caught in less than 10' and most in less than 5'), no scent needed...waste of money unless you're fishing turbid waters, get a couple spooks and start with those....keep casting

Quote Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
    Man, what is that smell??? Ah yes, it's a skunk! That's what happened to me today! I got skunked!

I bought two lures today at Bass Pro, both Bass Pro branded because I'm a bit low on cash these days:

- XPS Rattle Shad, chrome and blue, 2 3/4 inch, 1/2 oz

- XPS Floating Minnow Jerk Bait, chrome and black, 4 5/8 inch, 1/2 oz. Big one.

Each lure was $3.99.

Wind was blowing hard right at me. This didn't affect the casts too much, and they casted very far, but the jerk bait floated back toward me almost as fast as I could reel it back.

I tried the Rattle Shad first. Seems decent but the water is really shallow there and I was either dragging it in the muddy bottom, or reeling so fast to keep it off the bottom that a fish would have to really want it to be able to catch it. I gave that up pretty quick due to the the shallow water. Would be nice from a boat.

Why do they design these so the lure is swimming at such an unnatural angle (nose down)?

Next was the floating Jerk Bait. I went with the floater because I read that the suspended XPS ones didn't suspend well and many sank like a rock. I liked the action a lot and it seems like an all around good lure. Not sure about the strength of the hooks, and they weren't very sharp. Didn't matter today though ;)

The wind kinda ruined it I think, as well as a boat that came 25 feet from shore. These guys parked on shore about 50 yards away for 20 minutes, saw me fishing the entire time, then took off and went directly in front of me. Braaaaaaap!!!!! Gee thanks guys. It was really bad.

Didn't matter today. I saw no fish jumping which is unusual. No birds looking for food. It was dead. Never seen it that quiet.

BUUUT, I fished and that is good! I used a jerk bait for the first time and played around with that. And I wanted both of these lures for the lakes too, especially the rattle, so that's cool.

Not a good day to fish really I think but I'm glad I did. I don't really care what the moon, barometer and planetary alignments tell me, if I want to fish, I fish. But it was all against me today.

Thanks again for the tips!

How would you use scent on these lures, if at all? I tried it a few times. Seemed like it lasted a few casts maybe. Do you let it dry on there?

14. Likes LONO100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want the lure to swim straight i would go with swimbaits
    dont take life to serious, let go and smile to see what your missing out on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast