Post Thanks / Like

Re: Convict lake 9/28- 9/29 on a kayak

Thanks for the tips everyone! I wasn't setup for trolling lures deeper than 15 feet, but next time I go, I'll have dodgers and weights to get down to at least 60.

Tight lines!

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    One of my favorite east side lakes. As someone else said, great trolling from the dead tree across to the tallest tree on the south shore, down 20-45'.

Thanks for sharing.
    Yep You been there.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite east side lakes. As someone else said, great trolling from the dead tree across to the tallest tree on the south shore, down 20-45'.

Thanks for sharing.

4. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chromechaser View Post
    Thanks all! I'm definitely going back, even without a fish, Convict is well worth the effort!
    I saw you had a finder onboard, you may just have to change the presentation and maybe add a smell or two. I always put mine in the zone above the fish, smell goes down, fish come up to attack. Either way you have come into the southern California window of fisher persons. You are in a combat zone and it is a tough one at times. Good luck in the future....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

From 89 to 92 I had a boat that I kept at Convict all summer and early fall. At the time I had a summer rental at Mammoth.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

One of my all time favorite spots!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! I'm definitely going back, even without a fish, Convict is well worth the effort!

Post Thanks / Like

Fished and camped there many times, it is a great place visually, but hard to fish in some cases. I like it's access for wheelchair folks too. Your video was impressive......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Spent many a day trolling and hiking that lake. The best pattern was always from the Lightning Tree to the back of the lake past the inlet. Frog Flatfish or a flasher and a worm. Neat video. Thanks.

CC

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Convict lake 9/28- 9/29 on a kayak

Tried out Convict lake for the first time, all I have to say is WOW! What a beautiful place!! Fished from a kayak with my standard gear to no avail, fish were too deep for me, had one hit on a troll in 25 FOW, and one more tap bottom fishing a pink mouse tail. The winds picked up Sat and chased me off the water and actually caused the campground I was at (McGee Creek) to catch on fire and close down. If you would like to see adventure, check out the video below! Be sure to check out part 2 as well, on my way back on 9/30, while on 108, I stopped on a few spots and got my first two golden trout!!
    Tight lines!