Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hwy88

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hwy88

Well according to your post your little gal didn't get to reel anything in.......so I hope you have difficulty sleeping at night!!! Let me explain, you state that you needed more weight to get your stuff out there. Having fished this same water from my mini boat & bottom finder, its shores are very shallow and you do need to get it out there. The entire Lakers shallow, except for a channel which is out in the center, and reaches a maximum depth of 32 ft. Fishing & casting off the dam gets the best average depth, but you can't kick back in your lounging chair. Anyway, back to the point, you say peeps kicked you down a few extra fish, which has happened to me many times both ways, I've received a few fish, as well as given a few away, kind of an angling "code" of sorts. Also a code of sorts is if you see someone (especially kids) struggling to get it out there, or they don't have a particular lure the fish seem to favoring, or they need a spinner, is to share what equipment you have with them. I have given away countless lures, hooks, bb weights, leaders, etc, etc, to make someone else's fishing adventure successful, in fact it's almost as much fun watching someone else catch fish on the lure you gave them, as it is catching them yourself. If the peeps were gracious enough to kick you down a few fish, I'm sure they would have kicked you down some lead, or whatever you needed to get it out there. The only thing that may have prevented this is you bonded with them at the end of your fishing adventure. So you need to get your daughter back up there next year, since this year is pretty much over weather wise.

ill share a time I got a particular kick of helping out other outdoor enthusiasts. I was on a 4 day disappearing off the grid fishing expedition in between iron canyon and McCould reservoir. I was fishing a feeder creek to the mccloud River having a blast catching numerous rainbows to 10". On way back up the hill to the dirt road I decided to have lunch once I reached my vehicle. I was right near where the PCT crosses the river via a suspension bridge. Two gruffy looking guys emerged from the woods with full backpacks on, dirty, beard growth, etc... So i said hi to them & started a conversation with them. They were headed north, starting in Southern California, heading all the way up to Oregon,it was their first major backpacking trip.

They weren't into fishing before their trip started, but they saw lots of lakes along the way holding fish to potentially supplement their food supplies. One of the guys found a broken fishing pole & reel, but they weren't having any success because they had no hooks or lures. So I took a look at the pole & started laughing. Yes it was broken at the middle where it connects, it had an older Mitchell reel that was workable, but the worst part was i think it had 10 or 12lb test on it which doesn't work to well in the gin clear water of the sierras. So I had 5 poles with me, so I gave them a 2 piece eagle claw pole I had as a backup, then I took off all his old line & gave him 3/4 spool of 4lb test, variety of hooks, and several lures, including the universal all around best, kastmaster! The guys were blown away. I was bummed thinking how much prime trout water they had already passed through, but that was water under the bridge.

After spending 20 minutes on the hikers, they were very thankful about about me getting them equipped to catch some fish. They were almost suspicious of me like I was Ted buddy or something. As they started to dawn their packs my mind turned towards making my lunch which I was hungry for. Then I realized I had tons of extra food. As we all probably do when we go into the woods, we don't go hungry!!! I had extra Fritos, powdered sugar mini donuts, bread, life cereal, lays chips, and chip-a-hoy cookies. So when I realized this, I called for them to come over to my van again & I stocked them up with whatever they could carry.

I don't know what they were more thrilled about, the extra goodies, or the fishing gear. But what would thrill me the most is at the end of a dusty day on the trail, after setting up camp on the shore of a small lake, they toss out the rooster tail I gave them & land a 1lb brook or golden trout or 2, that feeds them through the night.....mmmm good. Nothing tastes as good as trout in the back country. I just hope they either had or were able to get some basic seasoning for the fish they would hopefully be catching, cuz they said they were due for a supply stop in northern Ca. So I hope you get daughter future fish many times over.

2. Likes Katch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! That smile is the best, my 5 year old g-son LOVES to get up early and go fishing with "gam-paw"!

5. Likes CrappieJed, NorcalAngler liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the smile on that little girls face.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

7. Likes NorcalAngler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On many a fishing trip Indian Creek has saved the day for me. At 17 miles from my front door it is a go to destination for me. If the wind don't blow.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

9. Likes NorcalAngler, CrappieJed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome report and pics!!! The smiles on your daughters face say it all. Getting youngsters hooked on the outdoors is one of the greatest things you can do. Thanks for sharing.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

11. Likes NorcalAngler, CrappieJed liked this post
    Sacramento, California, United States, Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

You sure canít beat the scenery! We had an amazing day!
    The lakes along 88 had too much wind, I swear Caples had at least a 1ft chop. We passed the rest and made a beeline to Indian Creek off 4. Man! From Shot Rock Vista to Linden is one of my favorite places in the world! Fall is the best!
    Anyway, my 6yo and I did some fishing and we met some very nice people fishing next to us. I hooked up with a nice fatty Bow but the guys next door were killing it! I really wanted my daughter to reel one in but our luck ran out (needed a little heavier weight to get it out). We ended the day with our poles in the water and taking in the scenery, and I watching my girl being unable to wipe that smile from her face. We saw eagles, a SAR training and was even buzzed low by a daredevil flying a P51 Mustang through the mountains! We cleaned our fish plus a few extra that we graciously accepted as gifts and headed home. ďDad, we left home in the dark and now we are coming home in the dark..when can we go back?Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NCA-

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing opportunities have been slim along 88 this year. The good news is that the CDFW is stocking the week of October 14 in the West and East Carson, Caples and Silver Lake.

CC

14. Likes Waterdog, NorcalAngler, CrappieJed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love 88 fisheries. Yeah life kinda has a way of getting in the way of fishing thatís for sure

16. Likes Waterdog, NorcalAngler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jed, not sure where exactly. I may go up around Caples or I may go up Hwy 4 to a little mountain lake called Union lake. Union lake is one of my favorite spots this time of year when no one is up there. Lots been going on with me and wife so I havenít been able to get away or go fishing much. Even my dog Sprig had orthopedic surgery and Iíve had to stay close to home to watch him and help his rehabilitation process.p for the last 8 weeks. Iíve had some back problems and sciatica thatís kept me down. Been hell of a couple months. Heís doing well though. Iím hoping to go next week but I donít know for sure if I will actually be able to get away then or not.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast