Thread: Marlin Trapper

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marlin Trapper

Quote Originally Posted by IronClad View Post
    Where did you find a trapper with a lam stock and the rail? Ive been lusting over an SBL for a long time.. i'll get one someday, they are nice guns

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    These are the all new 1895SBL Big Bores. The Trapper is the only model with the laminated stock at this point. It's short with an 18-1/2" barrel and a 5+1 capacity. There's nothing to indicate that it's a Boyd's gunstock but I'm pretty sure it is. I can't see Marlin/Remington setting up to produce these stocks themselves for just one rifle.

I did find several other older versions at bigger stores in Reno but didn't care for them. I ran across this at a small gun store in Fallon NV that deals mostly with local hunters and ranchers. His prices aren't always the best but on this one he was right there with all the rest. Funny story about how I stumbled upon the place a year ago but I'll save that for the campfire someday.

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you find a trapper with a lam stock and the rail? Ive been lusting over an SBL for a long time.. i'll get one someday, they are nice guns

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    Very nice rifle. That will take down anything in North America. Have you fired it yet? I imagine the recoil is memorable.
    Haven't fired it yet but I have fired the Cowboy 26" barrel version and a Sharps in 45-70. The recoil depends entirely on the ammo being used. The default is a 405g jacketed soft point and it's tolerable even with repeated shooting. If you get into some of the deep penetration bullets, they are pretty hot loads and not a lot of fun to use for plinking. I found it interesting that with the same style of factory ammo, the 45-70 out performs the .500 and the 450 Marlin.

4. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice rifle. That will take down anything in North America. Have you fired it yet? I imagine the recoil is memorable.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yearroundfisherman View Post
    She’ll tear a decent whole through a can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Plans are for it to be my Quad, Jeep and Truck gun.

7. Likes Waterdog, Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

She’ll tear a decent whole through a can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Marlin Trapper

Fresh out of the newly retooled Marlin line at Remmington. Let me introduce you to the Marlin Trapper 45-70 Govt. Her name is Mildred because Bessy was already taken. She may look small and meak but she can kick some serious butt.