SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crayfish for sturgeon?

Quote Originally Posted by Troutinator View Post
    I've only been sturgeon fishing once, with a friend up near Yuba City. We used eel, grass shrimp and pile worms. No luck on that day. However, I was wondering if anyone has ever used crayfish as bait for sturgeon? Most of us know it's great bait for other species of freshwater fish, but sturgeon? I live in Lemoore and want to take my boat out someplace on the delta and I can catch fresh crayfish with traps. Thanks.
    I used to use them back when Lisbon was open. They worked great

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfin View Post
    Well I know for fact big trout like em my buddy got this And it had 3 in its belly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice rainbow.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I know for fact big trout like em my buddy got this And it had 3 in its belly

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Folsomtroller22 View Post
    Only way to find out is to give it a try but from my experience those fish love salmon roe, you might give that some thought. Good luck.
    Funny you said that. My wife and I traveled up north to Sacramento for some salmon fishing two weeks ago with hope of getting some salmon with roe. No hits, no catches. Maybe next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Ghost shrimp was the bait of choice when I was a kid, and it was hard to find at times. Crawdads were the backup choice, but never did catch one on them. Found crawdads in the stomachs of several sturgeon we cleaned so I know they eat them, but no luck for us. I have picked them up on sardines and shad striper fishing. More a matter of getting a bait in front of one, than choice of bait in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure if you can catch them on grass shrimp they’ll eat crayfish too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troutinator View Post
    I've only been sturgeon fishing once, with a friend up near Yuba City. We used eel, grass shrimp and pile worms. No luck on that day. However, I was wondering if anyone has ever used crayfish as bait for sturgeon? Most of us know it's great bait for other species of freshwater fish, but sturgeon? I live in Lemoore and want to take my boat out someplace on the delta and I can catch fresh crayfish with traps. Thanks.
    Only way to find out is to give it a try but from my experience those fish love salmon roe, you might give that some thought. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Crayfish for sturgeon?