Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amador reports?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Amador reports?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfin View Post
    Yep Bob was the reason that lake was Great . It will never be the same until they figure out they need more business or that they care enough to want to be the best lake around. Because it sure used to be . It was like the closest thing to steelhead fishing in a lake that you could get . They from what I know do not read the Sniffer or the boards but they have a FB page where when ever someone says something about a lack of stocking they get very defensive and start saying it costs $4 a pound to raise fish now . I do not claim to know how much it costs these days but my opinion is thats total BS . They just got 70,000 eggs and lets just say 50,000 make it well what are they gonna come up with $200,000 to raise them to 1 pound as they say thats the price ? They don't have those kinda funds and I for one have only gone once this year . Years past woulda been around 10 or more by now . I will wait until they get a number closer to 20k stocked before I head there again . Tightlines BF
    I had a long conversation with Lee Lockhart a few weeks ago. While they would love to get back to 5k a week, right now its possible. That drought a few years ago, but them on the hole for years to come. With that said they're getting a stockpile of eggs and will start planting smaller fish to increase the plants soon. Unfortunately they had a die off last year because of an employee at the hatchery. With their golden hybrids from oregon getting going it may take another season or so to get the numbers up. With that said, they will have Lassen plant extra fish this year.

2. Likes bigfin, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    That had to be when they were planting those "Donaldson" trout, which I believe lasted three or 4 seasons (including one year where they sold some for planting at Rancho Seco lake. I came home with many 20+lb. 5-fish stringers in those days too. (And now I am going to break one of my own cardinal rules because there is no other choice:) Those were legendary times the likes of which we will likely not see again. (I hate it when old farts tell us how it was so much better "back in the day" and I just went there. Maybe something happens to the human brain when we get along about 65 and we just can't help but talk like an old fart. What are you gonna do?)

Yep Bob was the reason that lake was Great . It will never be the same until they figure out they need more business or that they care enough to want to be the best lake around. Because it sure used to be . It was like the closest thing to steelhead fishing in a lake that you could get . They from what I know do not read the Sniffer or the boards but they have a FB page where when ever someone says something about a lack of stocking they get very defensive and start saying it costs $4 a pound to raise fish now . I do not claim to know how much it costs these days but my opinion is thats total BS . They just got 70,000 eggs and lets just say 50,000 make it well what are they gonna come up with $200,000 to raise them to 1 pound as they say thats the price ? They don't have those kinda funds and I for one have only gone once this year . Years past woulda been around 10 or more by now . I will wait until they get a number closer to 20k stocked before I head there again . Tightlines BF
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...........

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGreg View Post
    Bob planted a lot of BIG fish, 4-5,000 pounds a week! Stickman, it's one of those things that just creeps into your speech! I still refer to "old farts' and I'm one myself! It's funny when you actually think of "back in the day" and you can remember it because you were part of it. My mother in law (God rest her soul) always said life was backwards, we should know at 21 what we know at 65! It would probably make life much more understandable, but I'll bet not as much fun.
    Amen, and amen, PapaGreg!

Post Thanks / Like

Bob planted a lot of BIG fish, 4-5,000 pounds a week! Stickman, it's one of those things that just creeps into your speech! I still refer to "old farts' and I'm one myself! It's funny when you actually think of "back in the day" and you can remember it because you were part of it. My mother in law (God rest her soul) always said life was backwards, we should know at 21 what we know at 65! It would probably make life much more understandable, but I'll bet not as much fun.
    True dat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    That had to be when they were planting those "Donaldson" trout, which I believe lasted three or 4 seasons (including one year where they sold some for planting at Rancho Seco lake. I came home with many 20+lb. 5-fish stringers in those days too. (And now I am going to break one of my own cardinal rules because there is no other choice:) Those were legendary times the likes of which we will likely not see again. (I hate it when old farts tell us how it was so much better "back in the day" and I just went there. Maybe something happens to the human brain when we get along about 65 and we just can't help but talk like an old fart. What are you gonna do?)

8. Likes Stickman, bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EddieTee View Post
    I had a 37LB limit about 15 years ago :) And only caught 5 fish. A day I'll always remember

Post Thanks / Like

houlifish, I remember climbing up the dam with limits of those fish Bob used to put in! 20-30 pound limits were common. You're right, probably never see those days again.

I had a 37LB limit about 15 years ago :) And only caught 5 fish. A day I'll always remember

11. Likes bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plug-n-Jug View Post
    it's still expensive compared to most other lakes. $21 for entry and kayak. The only plus side is that you are going to catch 3+ pounders, not 12" F&G dinks.
    Forgot to mention that the water is surprisingly clear. 4-5 ft. in most areas. Thought for sure it was going to be muddy.
    You can pay less than that at Collins and catch monsters. My last trip on November produced two 7lbrs and an 8.5lbr

13. Likes Stickman, bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Good college try.

Kind of expensive the last time I fished there but that was many years ago.
    it's still expensive compared to most other lakes. $21 for entry and kayak. The only plus side is that you are going to catch 3+ pounders, not 12" F&G dinks.
    Forgot to mention that the water is surprisingly clear. 4-5 ft. in most areas. Thought for sure it was going to be muddy.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

15. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plug-n-Jug View Post
    ...The lake was dead for most everyone I spoke to...
    Good college try.

Kind of expensive the last time I fished there but that was many years ago.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast