Thread: basic tune up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: basic tune up?

Definitely don't take all advice from youtube. Good suggestion here to take your manufacturer's manual and check the roadmap. I do full check-up each 6 months but I'm driving a lot so it's not nearly required if you don't.

Post Thanks / Like

I go by the owners manual maintenance schedule -- you should be able to download the owner's manual for your motor for free.

For mine (Honda) every 6 mos/100 hours it includes Motor oil/filter, gear case oil, spark plugs, Idle speed/throttle linkage check, general lube, and fuel filter. At 12 months/200 hours add water pump, timing belt (check), valve clearance (check), fuel tank filter, and thermostat (check). At 24 months/400 hrs add high pressure fuel filter.

A lot of time when it says "check" I might go ahead and replace. I figure if I'm going to the trouble of pulling something apart I might as well put a new whatever in while I'm there.

Having the shop manual is your best resource. YouTube has a lot of great info, and sadly some that is just plan bad. It is fairly easy to recognize the guys who know what they are talking about.

PS: If I can do this stuff, anyone can.
    Last edited by Ldubs; 01-23-2020 at 06:33 PM.

3. Likes Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have changed impellers on my Honda 15 and two Mercury 60 hp. I too watch youtube videos on how to.
    Not that hard of a job.. Kit should have all the gaskets also for the job.

5. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at some of the videos on you tube. I have fixed a lot of motors and replaced a lot of electronic parts after watching the how to videos.

7. Likes Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On mine annually I’d have the oil changed, new oil filter, new spark plugs and new fuel filter. Every other year the lower unit oil and a new impeller. That was for my 6 hp 4 stroke and pretty much the same for my 90hp 4 stroke. I’m no expert so others may suggest different things.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

basic tune up?

Good morning all. I was wondering what all is involved in a basic, yearly tune-up on a 18 HP Nissan? It is just an oil change and get a new impeller? I figured it cant be too hard, but I have never worked on a boat motor. Any help and or advise is appreciated.
    Find God, your gonna need him!

Captain of the Little Liberator.