Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Question about possible native trout in Lake Lagunitas, Alpine Lake, Bon Tempe

The only way I would be able to see if a trout was native, I would check it to see any tags or missing fins anywhere (some get clipped before planting). Otherwise I would hold it next to my face and see what launguage it spoke to see if it really was a "NATIVE TROUT?".........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

2. Likes Waterdog, Stickman, BrotherWilliams liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about possible native trout in Lake Lagunitas, Alpine Lake, Bon Tempe

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    I have a similar interest in how fish get places and finding new waters to fish. I donít have much insight into Bay Area waters, so I canít help much. One thing you might check out is Putah Creek below Berryessa. Itís a somewhat unique fishery and worth exploring in my opinion.

One other thing you might be interested in is the Heritage Trout Challenge. Itís put on by Fish and Wildlife and requires you catch a certain number of native trout from their native waters. No big prize or anything but thereís a lot of historical information and interesting reading. It also gives folks an opportunity to explore out of the way places. Makes folks do things like drive to Alturas and spend a few days trying to catch a 5Ē trout. Sounds dumb in some aspects, but if you can check off a Goose Lake Redband off the list, itís no dumber than most other things fishermen do.

Good luck in your neck of the woods.
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about possible native trout in Lake Lagunitas, Alpine Lake, Bon Tempe

Quote Originally Posted by Marinfish View Post
    For each of those lakes there are big dams between them so you won't find any trout making their way up the creek or from one lake to the other. Lagunitas is regulated as a special trout fishery. Forget the rules exactly but I believe C&R only. Both Bon Tempe and Lagunitas get stocked regularly during the fall and winter.
    As for Alpine and Kent lake, those both are not stocked but have wild trout populations in them and they get very large. They are both quite difficult as far as numbers go but if you spend enough days you can find them. The trout in both those lakes easily double the size of what you find in Bon Tempe and Lagunitas. I've never caught one but old timers tell me there are landlocked salmon in Kent lake. Only issue is that they are deep in the lake and you are not allowed in the water or to use any kind of watercraft on those lakes. Old timers in Marin tell me they used to be able to sneak in boats or swim to the docks or water pumps to fish and catch 10+ lb trout and landlocked salmon. That was back in the 60's and 70's though. I wouldn't attempt that today unless you want a hefty fine. Hope this helps.
    I appreciate this information, I'm looking forward to exploring some of the beautiful north bay lakes this year.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedSavina View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the Fish Sniffer and was hoping I could get some information from all of the great combined knowledge here. A topic that really intrigues me is native trout that end up in lakes form either an inflowing creek or even getting washed over a damn from a creek that has native trout. Most of my fishing has been down in the south bay(Stevens Creek, Lexington, Loch Lommond, Uvas, Coyote). I've read some good things about the lakes in the North bay and from the pictures I have seen these are some really beautiful lakes.

Can anyone give may any information on lakes in the Northbay that have native trout? If I look at Lake Lagunitas for example I would assume that it might have native rainbow or even steelhead that find their way in from Lagunitas creek. From just looking on a map I would make the same assumption about Bon Tempe and Alpine Lake. Kent Lake also looks like it could be a candidate to have native trout. Can anyone shed any light here?

thanks!
    I doubt that there are any native trout in the waters you mention. First we need to define native trout and wild trout. People mix these terms up often. Native trout are trout that are native to specific areas or bodies of water. They have been in those waters for multiple generations, hundreds of years and longer. The species was not imported or placed there by man. There are few native trout species in California.
    Wild trout are simply trout that have hatched/born in the wild. A hatchery trout can never be a wild trout. Hatchery trout that are not sterile could produce wild trout. A native trout is a wild trout but a wild trout is not necessarily a native trout. Most wild trout are not native. Hope I’m not making this confusing.
    The waters you mention may have wild trout but I doubt they have native trout. Although Coastal Rainbow Trout are a California native species and have a fairly wide range, you may find them in the lakes you mention, I just don’t know for sure but I doubt it.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 01-28-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar interest in how fish get places and finding new waters to fish. I donít have much insight into Bay Area waters, so I canít help much. One thing you might check out is Putah Creek below Berryessa. Itís a somewhat unique fishery and worth exploring in my opinion.

One other thing you might be interested in is the Heritage Trout Challenge. Itís put on by Fish and Wildlife and requires you catch a certain number of native trout from their native waters. No big prize or anything but thereís a lot of historical information and interesting reading. It also gives folks an opportunity to explore out of the way places. Makes folks do things like drive to Alturas and spend a few days trying to catch a 5Ē trout. Sounds dumb in some aspects, but if you can check off a Goose Lake Redband off the list, itís no dumber than most other things fishermen do.

Good luck in your neck of the woods.

9. Likes Stickman, Jetspray, MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For each of those lakes there are big dams between them so you won't find any trout making their way up the creek or from one lake to the other. Lagunitas is regulated as a special trout fishery. Forget the rules exactly but I believe C&R only. Both Bon Tempe and Lagunitas get stocked regularly during the fall and winter.
    As for Alpine and Kent lake, those both are not stocked but have wild trout populations in them and they get very large. They are both quite difficult as far as numbers go but if you spend enough days you can find them. The trout in both those lakes easily double the size of what you find in Bon Tempe and Lagunitas. I've never caught one but old timers tell me there are landlocked salmon in Kent lake. Only issue is that they are deep in the lake and you are not allowed in the water or to use any kind of watercraft on those lakes. Old timers in Marin tell me they used to be able to sneak in boats or swim to the docks or water pumps to fish and catch 10+ lb trout and landlocked salmon. That was back in the 60's and 70's though. I wouldn't attempt that today unless you want a hefty fine. Hope this helps.

11. Likes Stickman, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about possible native trout in Lake Lagunitas, Alpine Lake, Bon Tempe

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the Fish Sniffer and was hoping I could get some information from all of the great combined knowledge here. A topic that really intrigues me is native trout that end up in lakes form either an inflowing creek or even getting washed over a damn from a creek that has native trout. Most of my fishing has been down in the south bay(Stevens Creek, Lexington, Loch Lommond, Uvas, Coyote). I've read some good things about the lakes in the North bay and from the pictures I have seen these are some really beautiful lakes.

Can anyone give may any information on lakes in the Northbay that have native trout? If I look at Lake Lagunitas for example I would assume that it might have native rainbow or even steelhead that find their way in from Lagunitas creek. From just looking on a map I would make the same assumption about Bon Tempe and Alpine Lake. Kent Lake also looks like it could be a candidate to have native trout. Can anyone shed any light here?

thanks!

13. Likes Jetspray liked this post