Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for information on the trout found in San Leandro and San Antonio Reservo

Quote Originally Posted by Super108 View Post
    I used to fish Niles Canyon in the 90s when they were still planting it, I always caught fish, I can't imagine what it would have been like when steelhead and salmon were running up it. I did get bit by something wading in it one day, I was waist deep and something stung or bit me on my upper leg a few inches shy of some sensitive areas lol, my whole body immediately felt like it was on fire and I broke out in hives, ended up at Kaiser with an allergic reaction, never found out what got me.
    Probably a water boatman or back-swimmer both are aquatic bugs that issue a painful bite:

Backswimmers swim on their backs, vigorously paddling with their long, hair-fringed hind legs and attack prey as large as tadpoles and small fish. They can inflict a painful "bite" on a human being, actually a stab with their sharp tubular mouthparts (proboscis).

Order: Hemiptera

Family: Notonectidae

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for information on the trout found in San Leandro and San Antonio Reservo

I used to fish Niles Canyon in the 90s when they were still planting it, I always caught fish, I can't imagine what it would have been like when steelhead and salmon were running up it. I did get bit by something wading in it one day, I was waist deep and something stung or bit me on my upper leg a few inches shy of some sensitive areas lol, my whole body immediately felt like it was on fire and I broke out in hives, ended up at Kaiser with an allergic reaction, never found out what got me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    I lived in Fremont before it was Fremont, in Centerville. Anyone remember the secret sidewalk in Niles? Now there are a ton of trails paved along Alameda Creek and you can ride a bicycle across the Dumbarton bridge from Niles to Marsh road on those type paths. As far as fishing it is all touch and go and you need to follow the rules...…..Jetspray
    I went to Centerville JR High in 1976-77.

In my high school and early college years, I spent some wild nights up at the secret sidewalk doing some crazy stuff I shouldn't be here alive because of...

The sidewalk was the concrete aqueduct which carried water from Calaveras Reservoir down to the city before more modern channelization (like Alameda Creek and the quarry ponds).

I used to go to "The Spot" in Niles Canyon and catch trout after a plant. Alameda Creek was also planted with trout between Buntings Pond and Mission Blvd.

I fished every pond out there between Niles and Isherwood many, many years before the city and EBRPD came in and destroyed what was once pristine habitat with lots of wildlife and quarry ponds with distinct characteristics and corresponding populations of fish species. For instance, there were stripers in Shinn Pond and you could stay out all night with live bluegill and catch some pretty hefty fish for a pond...

In the corner behind Thornton Ave and Paseo Padre Pkwy. and on the east side of Alameda Creek, there was a large pond that was full of crappie. We would go down to an old, rusty pipe with small jigs called "Crappie Busters" and "Beetle Spins" and catch 200" fish in a day and BIG ones...

There were 4 other ponds in just that vicinity alone, one was the great for carpin with dough bait. Another had bluegill, Sac perch, red-eared sunfish, green sunfish, pumpkinseed for days!

Yet another was known for its catfish.

The best bass pond for numbers was Buntings Pond off of Peralta Blvd. but the biggest largies were caught in the pond at the Southeast corner of Isherwood Ave. We'd catch 'em up to 12# out of there mostly on a Carolina or Texas rig with Creme plastic worms that we bought from Longs Drugs store.

There used to be a pond we would dive in and the visibility was 25-35 ft on a good day. We'd swim with giants schools of bass and shiners.

It saddened me when the developers and Cat D-9's came in and excavated and carved up the berms between the ponds. It all became one, giant, amorphous mud puddle. They paved all around it and landscaped it and made it safe (and boring) and stocked it full of ugly trout with rubbed-off tails and fins and charged money to come in to 'QUARRY LAKES'.

Those were the days my friend and if you got to fish and hunt the area in the 60's you had it better than I did.

OK enough nostalgia... I have it pretty good in my backyard these days living a few blocks from Ancil Hoffman Park
    Last edited by steeliesNstripers; 02-04-2020 at 01:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TBSP View Post
    I spent a lot of days fishing Alameda Creek back in the ‘60’s when I was a kid. They used to plant it pretty regularly back then. We would ride our bikes all the way down Mission Blvd from San Leandro. Good times. I really hope they’re successful in restoring that Creek to a natural spawning ground.
    I lived in Fremont before it was Fremont, in Centerville. Anyone remember the secret sidewalk in Niles? Now there are a ton of trails paved along Alameda Creek and you can ride a bicycle across the Dumbarton bridge from Niles to Marsh road on those type paths. As far as fishing it is all touch and go and you need to follow the rules...…..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steeliesNstripers View Post
    That's cool you got to experience that.

I grew up 500 yards from the Alameda Creek when my family moved from Oakland to Fremont in 1972.

I used to catch 10lb steelhead with my hands in between the rubber dams when the creek would start drying up in the spring. My buddy and I would take them and put them over the dam so they could continue upstream to Niles.

Now, Jeff Miller and the Alameda Creek Alliance have taken over ;)

I'm excited that some day, wild salmon and steelhead will again be spawning in my old backyard playground...
    I spent a lot of days fishing Alameda Creek back in the ‘60’s when I was a kid. They used to plant it pretty regularly back then. We would ride our bikes all the way down Mission Blvd from San Leandro. Good times. I really hope they’re successful in restoring that Creek to a natural spawning ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedSavina View Post
    I love hearing about stuff like this, it sounds like everyone that fished Indian and La Costa Creek appreciated the beauty of the natural trout and went out of their way to not harm them. I was unclear on something however, are you saying that these two creeks had a trout season depending on the rain? I never knew these two creeks existed so I'm guessing they are not open now!
    San Antonio Res. is owned by San Francisco Water District and access is prohibited. The creeks that flow into it run across private property owned by ranchers so they have never (at least as long as I have been around) been open to the public. Although on private property, the Fish and Game laws still have to be followed. That puts the trout season beginning on the last Saturday of April. If there wasn’t much rain in March and April, there wouldn’t be enough water flowing in these creeks to support the fish. The creeks all but dry up over the summer with only some of the larger, deeper pools holding water - and a bunch of fingerlings, but we always left them alone.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of creeks and small rivers on the coast with fishable populations of steelhead. Garcia, Gualala, Navarro, Noyo, Greenwood Creek are a few that get very little publicity but are cool intimate waters to explore. Regulations, low flow restrictions and limited access make them tough to fish for guides or large populations, but they have some surprisingly big fish for such small spaces.

I’ve read several creeks in Marin County have small runs too, but not sure they’re legal to fish. Even if you can’t exploring and watching them can make for a fun way to get out and enjoy wild places.

Just food for thought

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steeliesNstripers View Post

I grew up 500 yards from the Alameda Creek when my family moved from Oakland to Fremont in 1972.

I used to catch 10lb steelhead with my hands in between the rubber dams when the creek would start drying up in the spring. My buddy and I would take them and put them over the dam so they could continue upstream to Niles.

I'm excited that some day, wild salmon and steelhead will again be spawning in my old backyard playground...

I have a mental image of you and your friend helping these beautiful fish, thanks for sharing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Looking for information on the trout found in San Leandro and San Antonio Reservo

About 30 years ago, for about 15 years, I had access to a large ranch above San Antonio Reservoir. If we got some good rain in March and April, two creeks that flowed into the reservoir, La Costa and Indian, would be fishable when trout season opened the last Saturday of April. The hike down there was brutal but it was an amazing fishery. We would catch a dozen or more beautiful trout with my PB being about 25”. All were released unharmed. When the damn was completed in, I think1964, an old game warden by the name of Til Nerton brought up about 200 fingerling steelhead (in milk jugs) that he got from somewhere in the Alameda Creek watershed, and released them above the dam. Those fish we caught were descendants of that original release. Really miss that place. Check out Alameda Creek Alliance.
    I love hearing about stuff like this, it sounds like everyone that fished Indian and La Costa Creek appreciated the beauty of the natural trout and went out of their way to not harm them. I was unclear on something however, are you saying that these two creeks had a trout season depending on the rain? I never knew these two creeks existed so I'm guessing they are not open now!

Post Thanks / Like

About 30 years ago, for about 15 years, I had access to a large ranch above San Antonio Reservoir. If we got some good rain in March and April, two creeks that flowed into the reservoir, La Costa and Indian, would be fishable when trout season opened the last Saturday of April. The hike down there was brutal but it was an amazing fishery. We would catch a dozen or more beautiful trout with my PB being about 25”. All were released unharmed. When the damn was completed in, I think1964, an old game warden by the name of Til Nerton brought up about 200 fingerling steelhead (in milk jugs) that he got from somewhere in the Alameda Creek watershed, and released them above the dam. Those fish we caught were descendants of that original release. Really miss that place. Check out Alameda Creek Alliance.

11. Likes Waterdog, TBSP, dilbeck liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast