Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Highway 1 and 101 Trout? (Norcal basically)

The Mattole and Bear rivers on Cape Mendocino. A bit off 101 but there are some nice Costal Cutthroats and Steelhead. You will be alone in a beautiful area.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

There may be some rainbows that don't go to the sea in those waters but basically they are all steelhead in some stage of development. That's why you need the report card for anadromous waters. If you get up into the small tributaries you'll be fishing for steelhead growing for the trip downstream to come. I'd bet when you used to fish for trout in the Russian tributaries that was all you caught but just didn't recognize them as being juvenile steelhead.
    Other than the Smith, I doubt that you'll find any waters above the low flow minimums until you get to Oregon given the current weather patterns.
    Check the reg.s carefully as already stated!!!

3. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a FYI. Was up there the past few days, all the tributaries are off limits right now due to low flows apparently. I talked to the guys at King’s in Guerneville and that’s what they told me. The road by Casini’s in Duncans Mills is partially washed out as well and under construction.

If I had a boat that would be great, seemed like a ton of people were just cruising down the river all fishing for trout.

Found a few spots to fish on the Eel, but no luck. I didn’t have a lot of time to fish that day, but I think I’ll go back and try again. Seems like it could be some good water for trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure of the seasons but you might fish for sea run cutthroats in alot of the creeks. There's a group of kids on youtube up in that region and they slay em.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Walmart in my town does. Check the regs carefully. A lot of the smaller creeks and rivers have special regulations and low flow closures. They also say 2 hatchery steelhead per day, but most don’t have hatcheries. I would assume all are wild and need to be released.

Exploring new spots with the potential of big fish one of the best parts of fishing. Just temper expectations to exploring with a shot at a fish, vs. a successful trip requiring multiple big fish. I’m jealous. Enjoy the trip.

7. Likes yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any place that sells fishing licenses should have steelhead report cards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Not for trout specifically, but there are a lot of creeks and rivers with steelhead, and this is prime time. You don't read a lot about most of them as they're small and most have wild fish you can't keep. But they do hold wild steelhead in some small places.

The Russian, Gualala, Garcia, Albion, Navaro and Noyo Rivers along with Elk and Greenwood Creeks all have winter run steelhead. Check regs, low flow closures and private property, but they all have some surprisingly big fish for smaller waters. Not big numbers either, but finding an intimate little pocket with a few fish in it, can be as good of an adventure as there is. The South fork of the Eel and the Mattole Rivers both produce big fish at times too if you care to wander a little farther north.

My 2 cents. Hope you have a good trip.
    Awesome, thank you so much. Does anyone know if Walmart or another chain sells Steelhead Report cards? I've actually never fished for them (I usually go for rainbow) and it's going to take 15 days (that's insane!) to get a card if I buy online. Even if fishing for Rainbow, I don't want to catch a steelhead and get fined for a fish I wouldn't plan on keeping anyways. Just rather play by the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Not for trout specifically, but there are a lot of creeks and rivers with steelhead, and this is prime time. You don't read a lot about most of them as they're small and most have wild fish you can't keep. But they do hold wild steelhead in some small places.

The Russian, Gualala, Garcia, Albion, Navaro and Noyo Rivers along with Elk and Greenwood Creeks all have winter run steelhead. Check regs, low flow closures and private property, but they all have some surprisingly big fish for smaller waters. Not big numbers either, but finding an intimate little pocket with a few fish in it, can be as good of an adventure as there is. The South fork of the Eel and the Mattole Rivers both produce big fish at times too if you care to wander a little farther north.

My 2 cents. Hope you have a good trip.

11. Likes Stickman, MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Highway 1 and 101 Trout? (Norcal basically)

Planning on heading up to the Jenner area this weekend for a quick get away. I've never trout fished the area and I knew when I was a kid Austin Creek near Guerneville held trout, but due to all the dams years ago, basically everything has been killed off. Does anyone have any spots to recommend to try to fish for trout? I'm bringing spinning and fly gear and I'm planning on going up 101 one day up to Humbolt to maybe see the Sequoia's and across 128 to Booneville and possibly go up to Fort Bragg to go see a few breweries.

Any ideas is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!